Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Updates on Food Storage

I'm not professing to be all-knowing in the art of food storage or 72 hour kits, BUT there have been many a people I've talked to, Relief Society lessons/Enrichments, and websites that I have frequented.

Obviously, when you see how much you need to get, it can be SO overwhelming. So, start small. When you are shopping at the store for your groceries, just add a few extra cans of corn or beans. After a while, it starts to add up. (We had an amazing amount of food before we moved from Rexburg...and then it was great in Kansas before we moved...and now we are just down to 2 weeks worth of food)
Anyway, here are some places online to check out:

-Food storage calculations: How much food you need for your family
-Recipes: You need to learn how to use your food storage/rotate it, so why not actually make homemade bread and soups with it? One of my great friends does this and is a HUGE advocate for using your food storage..and she has gotten REALLY good at it! Obviously, there are other places to get recipes, but I figure the LDS website is a great place to start!
-Monthly grocery list: This is great for slowly getting things together over a year. It tells you what you need each month for BOTH your food storage AND 72 hour kits. It's was nice to look over and get ideas!
Melissa gave these sites as places to try to. I haven't had a chance to really go through them, but if someone else has..let me know what you thought! www.trackmyfoodstorage.com and www.foodstoragemadeeasy.net.

4 comments:

The Lassen Family said...

Hey, you're making great progress! I checked out the sites Melissa recommended last night and www.foodstoragemadeasy.net is awesome. I love it and I have only spent a little bit of time checking the site out. I was reading about water storage since we just bought our 55 gallon water drums. I guess we'd better get some water in them now :-)

Dena said...

Hey did you take the post off about the hair? I just looked into that. I need help badly with hair! I know nothing!!!!!! My mom didn't do our hair at any point in my life other than putting in a barrette. I need ideas for Kaylee. If you have any more websites send them my way!

-desperately yours...:)

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm going to be checking it out tomorrow. I appreciate it.

J said...

Since moving into our new house we have no excuse NOT to have food storage any longer so we've finally started! We just bought 400 lbs of wheat and a wheat grinder. It feels nice to at least have a start, ya know? Still a long way to go before we've got the whole 1 year supply down, but it makes me feel more confident that we're trying and we'll get there eventually. Thanks for the post!