Presenting
Maguire Riggs
Maguire Riggs
weight: 9lbs 7 oz. length: 20 inches
Here's the timeline. No need to read it, but I want it for journaling purposes. SKIP to the BOLDED at the end of the timeline..you'll want to read it to understand the pictures.
3:55 a.m. hospital (contractions)
4 a.m. up to room...info taken. Dilated to a 3
5- IV and pitocin
5:20 contractions 4 minutes apart.
5:25 Blessing from Luke
7ish-checked and still at a 3
(Contraction start getting a little more intense..so I asked for the epidural (I remembered how it was with spencer... :)
8a.m. wouldn't give me the epidural until I was at a 4 (Dr's orders-bah! humbug!) But they gave me a shot of Nubain and I got LOOPY. Holy cow! My toes, arms and head were numb and tingling..weirdest experience, but it DEFINITELY took the edge off!
8:15 Cord blood donation forms
9 asked them to break my water. (I know I have a lot of water...and thought it would help me dilate faster, but they still wouldn't do it!)
10:10-10:40 got epidural
10:30-11 measure at a 4--asked again about breaking water --nurse finally called dr. and he said that the in-house dr would be by
11:45 Dr. broke water and measuring at a 5
12:10 measuring at a 6 (Dr. called to say that he was on his way)
12:30 10 cm and I needed to PUSH!!! (Dr. not even close-told the nurses that they may need to catch him ... it was that intense.)
12:45-12:50 Dr shows up and I push about 3-4 times.
12:59 Maguire is born
Luke's thoughts: Saw baby's head emerge and thought, "I don't remember any of our other kids being that blue." Cord was wrapped around his neck twice. Dr. started suctioning like mad to get all of the mucous and gunk out of his mouth.
Here are some scary pictures. you'll understand why we were nervous. luckily everything is ok. the bruises AND swelling have gone down pretty quickly...but he is a chunky baby!
not breathing
he is not breathing in this one either (or crying)
Katie: When they placed him on my chest, I thought he was stillborn. He was blue. Even with all of that..I felt calm. Like everything was going to be ok.
starting to pink up a bit
After rubbing him, giving him oxygen and trying to get him to breath and/or cry, you could tell the nurses were getting a little anxious. It took about a minute before we heard a little whimper and then another one. His toes and body started pinking up, but his face didn't. His whole face is a bruise. After letting out the whimpers, he let it wail! He has a great set of lungs! thank goodness.
poor bruised face!
Notes: Next time I will insist I have my water broken AND given the epidural. I know my body and this delivery was similar to Spencer's...although 5 hours longer. No need for that next time.
Being wheeled upstairs
Meeting the kids:


Aunt Kiera:

The Happy, but very tired parents:







38 comments:
YEAH! A big congrats! Glad he made it safely...sorry you weren't brave enough to insist. Hope both of you recover well!
congrats guys!! That is so scary what happened, but glad everything worked out. He is so cute!
congrats!!!!
Congratulations! I have been checking all day and wondering when you would have news. I was actually nervous wondering if everything had gone well. I'm so glad he's here and he's safe. He is so cute even with the swollen and bruised face.
Oh my goodness Katie! We're so glad that you guys are all okay after all of that. I can't believe he was soo big! Were Spencer and Livi both that big too? You guys all look great and we're soo happy for you! And super cute name!
Congratulations...and oh my goodness - how scary! I'm glad he's here (love the name) and that everything is ok. I wish you all lots and lots of sleep! - Tacie
Oh my goodness! That is a traumatic birth, but we are so glad that every thing is okay! We are so happy for your family of 5!!!
Holy Scary!!!! I'm so glad that he started breathing and he is healthy! Congrats on a big beautiful boy. Does the name have any special meaning?
Good luck getting some sleep!
OMG your little boy is here. That is a cute name. It brought tears to my eyes seeing those pics of him being all bruised. I hate seeing babies in pain and sad looking. He is a doll still. The bruising and redness is just from the cord being wrapped around him? How long was it around him for. SOO lucky he is ok. I am so happy for you. How did you not freak out when you saw him like that?? Hope your both recovering well. Are you home already?
What a CUTE CHUNK!!! That first picture is really scary. I'm SO glad we have modern medicine. He looks so pathetically cute with his little bruised face. He's such a doll! We're SO happy for you guys and relieved everything turned out well. :)
Congrats Katie! Wow, that was intense...I am so glad that both him and you are doing well. I hate it when doctors won't listen to a mom. Maybe the first time around we don't know what is happening, but after a couple we definitely have instincts. What a blessing for your family. I hope all the best and congrats again. Little boys are so much fun!
Wow! He is a chunk...but not as chunky as mine:) Congratulations on a healthy baby boy! Scary first few minutes, but SOOO glad everything turned out ok. And that bruised up face, sad. Well, rest up. Good luck with the adjustment of 3! Really, it's not bad. Congrats again. Keep the pics coming!!!
His poor little face! Congratulations and best wishes for a fast recovery!
Congratulations! Good job Katie!! What a cutie pie, he so big!!! BTW...LOVE LOVE LOVE his name!
Congrats. Poor little boy. How scary. I guess that blessing really did help you little one. Can't wait to see more pictures in the near future!!
Congratulations! (Sydney was especially excited this morning!) Macey came out with a bruised face too, but she was BREATHING!!! How scary! I am glad everything is good now. Take care!
Congrats! I'd be scared if my baby wasn't breathing and was blue! I'm glad you felt calm about it, though. I'm sure that was helpful. Have fun with him!
Congratulations! I can't believe you were so calm through it all. Good job.
Congrats! He is so cute and huge! That was so scary but I am glad that you felt calm. I hear you about next time doing what you feel you need; that's how I felt after having Ally.
Wow, gald everyone is doing well after a scray experince like that. Congratulation!
Congrats to the whole family! I love that he is so chunky... cute! Our prayers are with you. And I'm impressed you are already talking about "next time" -- WOW!
I am so glad everything turned out okay!!! We are all very excited for you! Congrats!
Wow...I am so happy that he is here and all is well. I know all about babies coming and not breathing, that makes we happy to hear that he finally let out a huge cry, Truper never did that. Give him big kisses from us, we are eager to meet him someday and he and Trup will be best friends. LOVE YOU
Yeah Katie and Luke so happy for you both! One more pregnancy and labor done with-lucky you. What a cutie!
wow! that is scary stuff. I'm glad all came out well though. congrats and good luck with sleeping!!!!
yeah!!! Welcome baby Maguire!! Congrats you guys he is SO cute! I am SO glad you are both doing well. how scary!
Congrats! Even though his entrance was tramatic, it sounds like he is doing well now. We will keep you all in our prayers. He looks like the perfect addition to your family. Best wishes and good luck with everything!
Congrats! I am so glad that he is okay!
Congratulations! That is so scary but I'm so glad he's doing okay now. I better get started on some boy bibs. Congrats!
Wow! I'm so glad he's ok. Congratulations. Hope you and Mac recover quickly. He's so cute.
Okay, so scary, but I'm so happy and relieved that everything turned out good. He is adorable!!!! Congratulations!
Congrats! What a big baby! I am glad that everything is great. It is amazing the spirit that is there when these little once come into the world. You look amazing and we are so happy for you guys.
Whew! Feeling some relief? I am glad that all is well...
oh my gosh, sister!!! I was stuck on a separate island in the jungle and had no access to internet! I was praying for you sooooo much and so worried all week! how scary!! I am so glad you and maguire are healthy! he is sooo big and i love it!!! I am so sad I am not there with you! Please know i was praying for you all day every day! Love you!!! I will see you in august somehow of course!! give the kids a hug and a kiss for me! And tell vanilla gorilla i miss him too! love, aunt to-to
CONGRATS!!! I would have been a LITTLE freaked out about the cord being wrapped around his neck like that! But you looked SOO calm and reassured! Poor boy had a rough time entering this world! But now he's here and all is well!! CONGRATS AGAIN!!! I can't believe you're on to #3!!! WOW!
Congrats! I love the name you guys chose!
wow! he was REALLY blue! we thought Mady was a little smurf (almost all babies born in Denver need oxygen because of the altitude). Congrats!
Congratulations on your third little baby! Scary birth story- I hate it when no one listens to the mom, it's our body for crying out loud, I think we can tell when a baby is coming out of it! I hope recovery is going well for you!
Post a Comment