Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 Where were you?

I had a flippin' early class and was in the basement of the Clarke Building. We were waiting for the other class to come out and another teacher told us about it. At first, we had no idea what she was talking about (it WAS early!) and then we were all in shock and couldn't believe it! After being in class a few minutes, the teacher announced it again. One girl got up and left the class....she had a family member that worked in the building. Luckily they were ok.

I remember going home between classes and listening to the radio since Luke and I had been married exactly one month and one day and we didn't have cable. This is where I was a little more in shock. I called my parents in Chicago, since we weren't sure where the next attack would happen. My dad said they were all ok.

Later on that day, Luke and I started our first day at Artco. We were sitting in the orientation room listening to everything over the PA. They had the PA linked to a current events channel, so we listened all of the several hours we were working. It was surreal. We couldn't really believe it was happening and to see it happen...was unspeakable.

Where were you? <--click

7 comments:

Melissa said...

I remember running that morning and just feeling like something was off. I went home & saw what was happening on the news. I called Greg, he hadn't heard about it yet. He thought I was over reacting about something. Then he heard.
This was also supposed to be my first day working at a new salon. We didn't do much work, though. We all sat around and watched the news all day. It was terrible, right out of a movie, only real.
Thanks for this post Katie. It's easy to forget the horror of it all until you really re-live it in your mind. SO SAD!

Jennifer said...

I was waiting outside the Smith building for a car pool ride to an elementary school. (Not sure which class this was for). The ride got there and everyone was in shock. The radio was on and it took me awhile to catch up to what was going on. At the school the teachers were having a hard time teaching trying to catch bits and piece of what was happening. I was in a 2nd grade class. The kids knew something was up but didn't know what. The teachers had them sing some patriotic songs. It was very touching. Later that afternoon I was glued to the TV with my roommates to get the full story and see the replayed coverage. I'll never forget.

Anja said...

Tim called me while he was on his way to school at Weber state. I called my dad b/c he had been working in NY a lot, only to find out that he had just come home from a trip and that he stayed in one of the hotels that had collapsed from the fall of the towers. I also remember being at work that day we were all upset b/c our boss would not let us keep the news on the tv that was in our waiting room. Thanks for the post, I agree, it's easy to forget unless you re-live it in your mind.

christa said...

Just listening to that clip brought tears to me eyes.

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Okay, so I read your comment on Karlee's blog about books and I thought of you because.........I saw a preview for a movie called...................................................................................................ARE YOU READY FOR IT??????????????
"Confessions of a Shopaholic" S

So I thought,"Holy Cow, Katie has raved about these books and now they are coming out with a movie! I've got to read these books, so I'm going to!!" Thanks Katie.

Yes, I know my comment isn't about 9/11, call non-patriotic if you want, but I just looked at my comment and it's all ready very long, so I will share my 9/11 moment soon.

J said...

i was still in bed since i didn't have to work until 11 that day. my friend called me and said "turn on the t.v. NOW!" i turned on the t.v. and every channel was showing footage of the first tower in flames. at that point the second tower had not been hit. while showing live footage of the first tower i heard the news reporter start screaming and freaking out and that's when the second plane hit. just watching it happen live as it was happening was just crazy to me. i couldn't believe it. i could barely pull myself away from the screen to get ready for my job. at work everyone was just really somber. we didn't have a lot of customers so my co-workers and i spent a lot of time just listening to the radio. after work my friend and i just sat on his couch watching everything unfold (the whys, whos, hows, etc.) i knew it was something our country would be talking about for years to come.

Michelle said...

I was at BYU-Hawaii and asleep. My roommate came running into our room at 5am screaming that the USA has been bombed and that we are being attacked and are at war. I just remember thinking "WHAT?!?!". We all woke up, ran to the TV and were glued to the screen. I then went o one of my classes where we just watched the news. We had a devotional in the afternoon.
The scarriest part was that our backyard was the ocean and we could see military boats going past our house every 20 minutes and planes flying overhead. We were scared that Hawaii would be hit next. We were all in shock and just sat glued to the TV, crying, praying. I still get teary eyed when thinking of that day and seeing pictures.