While waiting in the dr. office, I overheard a conversation going on right next to me. It may not seem like a big deal to some of you but I was a bit upset about it. Here's how it went:
Three non-well-to-do ladies (aka white trash--please don't think that I judge..it's the best way to describe them without going into too much detail!) were talking about the song, "I kissed a girl and I liked it." I personally HATE this song because it is sung by a girl about a girl and although I am not anti-gay/lesbian, I surely don't aprove nor want my children listening to this song. I think it is inappropriate.
ANYWAY, I guess one of the ladies works at a daycare and she was talking about how some of her preschoolers were singing it and how cute it was and how they loved hearing them sing it. One of them said that a parent had mentioned that they shouldn't be singing it (at preschool) and another one said,
"Why not? If the parent's let them listen to it, then it's not bad." While the third one said,
"What's the big deal, it's just a song?"
WHOA! Ok, there are many things wrong with this...and not to jump on my well-used soapbox, but I don't want my kid hearing these sort of songs played in preschool AND it's not just a song, but it is the principle of it. If I want to teach my child about lesbian things, then I'll do it in the comfort of my home, surrounded by Luke and a whole lot of the Spirit. I almost said something and was going to...oooohhh, I was close, but then they got called back.
What is the world coming to? I can't wait to move back to Idaho and get a bit of the "bubble" back. No, I realize that no matter what, my kids will be bombarded by the evils of the world, but at least in Idaho I have a say in what is taught (for the most part) and they are a more conservative state. If all else fails, I guess I am going to have to do what I have always NOT wanted to do..homeschool. (That's another discussion all together! :)
13 comments:
Oy. Some people. How did your appointment go, by the way?
Katie I totally agree with you. I HATE that song too, and of course I always get it stuck in my head even if I hear just a second of it and shut it off. I can't believe some people, and I feel even worse for their kids. It is sad what this world is coming too!!!
Yes, I have heard the song briefly or one like it in Europe. It is sad what the world is coming to. Having preschoolers exposed to this kind of stuff and not having it be that big of a deal. I enjoy that we are still in the bubble of Idaho. However soon we will be in Belgium which is way more liberal then California. I'm not looking forward to the culture shock I or my kids will endure over there. I might be home schooling as well, which I too don't want to do. We might just have to create a homeschooling blog :)
I totally agree with you! I would not want my daughter learning those things from others. Being a Day Care Provider it makes me even more upset that others would be OK with letting their daycare children listen and sing such an inappropriate song with their age. We listen do listen to the radio and some of my songs here as well. There is just so much of the children's CD's that I can handle in one day. BUT....I would NEVER let the children listen and sing innaprotiate songs....no matter if the Parents let them listen to it or not!
My stomach sunk when I heard about that song on NPR this summer. I could not believe that somebody could write a song with such principles behind it & be popular. I had never thought before about teaching Sennika how to avoid girls "hitting on her..." Some people are just more "relaxed" in what they allow. It is shocking, though!
I agree with you...I did read this article yesterday though about tween girls, actually not even tween, like 7 yrs olds, how they are becoming "sexy" so young. The article was trying to help parents deal with this b/c of all the things that are on TV and the radio. It was very good, but it's sad to realize how bad our culture is right now, and how all this stuff is "OK" for our kids! It's not and it's going to be a long 20 years!
Idaho...what? Since when? Why haven't I heard about this? You're not supposed to move FARTHER away. But I'm glad it will be a better environment for you and your wonderful kiddos.
That is always hard to listen to. I've over heard a few of those in my days! And, yes, you do want to chime in and put in your 2 cents. I'm sure if those parents found out that those songs were being played at their childrens pre-school, they'd have something to say about it.
Hope you're feeling better. No fun to have the flu.
I hate that song. I don't even have kids and could never imagine letting my kids (or anyone else's) listen to it. And if I did have kids and one of their friends was listening to it and/or singing it, then I'd REALLY have something to say about it. There is also a time and a place to talk to ones kids about those things, and preschool is not that time. Sad sad story...
Yeah I totally agree. That's just wrong.
Just because one or two children have heard it does not mean that all of the children have. That is one reason I will always try to keep my kids out of daycare/
Well i feel like a dork, am I the only one who doesn't know that song. But yeah i totally agree, not appropriate for a preschooler to be singing it. Its one thing if the parents let them sing it at their own home but not at school. Yeah they do sound like they are white trash. It is scary to think of all the stuff kids learn from other kids and even though i am not a fan of home schooling, i still want to shield them from everything but i dont think it can be done sadly to say. When are you guys moving back to idaho?? You guys are sure the traveling family. Will you move to rexburg?
I find it so frustrating that people don't seem to understand how impressionable children are. We are here in California and it drives me crazy with all that is going on here right now. Even though my kids won't start school for another 2 years I have already started to worry if I'll have to homeschool or not. We keep hoping that some how we'll get out of here and back to a conservative state.
I think we'll all have to start throwing in our 2 cents to make people think and help keep our children protected. Good luck everyone!
Post a Comment