It's amazing what and how traditions play a part in our home each year. We have built single traditions (before we were married with our families) and over the course of our 8 years together (7 married years!) and now that we have children.
THANKSGIVING:
My family used to go to the Museum of Science and Industry EVERY SINGLE THANKSGIVING DAY. We brought turkey sandwiches and spent the entire day there. It really was amazing. They have so many exhibits, it was free, and the Christmas Trees from around the world always amazed me! They are beautiful! Oh, and who can forget the Omnimax theater? Always a joy! Then we would have a big turkey dinner and stuff our faces!
Luke's family: they spent the day together, cooking and enjoying each other. Then the next morning at 5a.m. sharp we would go out on Black Friday and push and shove our ways through the LONG and TERRIFYING CROWDS!! It was completely crazy, freezing cold, but the McD's breakfast was always a pleasure!
CHRISTMAS:
Here are some of our traditions from being single:
Katie's family: Being mostly German our family(mom's side) used to have a HUGE christmas dinner on Christmas Eve (usually created by Mom..and EVERYTHING WAS FANTASTIC!! We also started having the Stake Presidency over to the house for dinner when my dad had the calling. My mom would also create ice cream bowls..beyond divine..and we would eat Peppermint Icecream out of them..) and act out the Birth of Jesus story. Then we would open ALL of our presents from parents, siblings, aunts/uncles/cousins/grandparents, etc. Of course we loved this tradition!! Then we would watch one of the movies we had received and go to bed. We also would find a Christmas Puzzle and put it together as a family. My mom would then glue them and hang them up as decorations in their home.
Christmas Day: We would wake up to the smell of Swedish Pancakes being cooked (My dad's side is swedish). We would open all of the presents left from Santa Claus and have a great relaxing day together.
Luke's family: Like most family's out there, Luke's side only opens one present (usually pjs) and then everything is left for the next day. They eat some AMAZING prime rib and have a good family night watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (classic). Then the adults would spend all night putting together the kid's toys. We would also play Risk, XBOX, watch movies and sometimes do a puzzle.
Christmas Day: lounge all day opening presents, etc. I also started making my mom's cheese soup in bread bowls and that started a bit of a Kirkham tradition.
Being married we just did whatever tradition per what household we were at...until last year. Last year we spent at home by ourselves! It was so very different and yet, wonderful. We had some friend's over and made the cheesy bread bowls with homemade rolls and it was great!
Christmas Eve: We compromised. Luke didn't like opening ALL the presents, so we settled for opening PJ's, a present from the grandparents and one from us to each other/the kids. It was about 4 presents and we really liked the compromise. We all slept out in front of the tree...on a mattress and it was so fun! We also acted out the Nativity story.
Christmas Day: Lounged and called our families and then had a big breakfast. Did I mention lounge??
Other traditions...Christmas just isn't Christmas without Bing belting out his Christmas tunes. Or the smell of hot chocolate and marshmellows...or cinnamon. We also go all out with the Christmas decorations. We were handed down a ceramic town from Luke's side and have started the tradition of collecting Santas and Snowmen. I must say, it isn't a huge ocllection, but a great one. We also are buying nutcrackers (this is from my side) and we hide the PICKLE. I remember we used to go Caroling...but that hasn't stuck.
Other random WINTER traditions: Sledding. Who can resist in Idaho? Yeah, that reminds me...I went sledding when I was almost 5 months pregnant with Spencer and ended up at the chiropractors office. Note to self: Don't do that again!
Ohhh, another tradition that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! We used to jam pack in to Jeramy's truck (Luke's brother) and drive around Idaho Falls with hot chocolate, listening to Christmas music and looking at lights. We really, REALLY miss this...and hope to continue it when we get back, but until then, we'll continue it (minus hot chocolate) with the kids.
We do have other traditions that I can't think of right now, but until then..what are some of your traditions?! I would love to hear what other people do.
3 comments:
I am going to do this on my blog and make it a TAG! This will be a fun one to get people excited for Christmas...I am already excited! I love, love, love it!
My favorite tradition growing up was waking up early on Christmas morning. I was so excited that I had butterflies. My four sisters and I would gather in one of our bedrooms talking and playing games until it was time to wake up my parent (they were always up late wrapping and gave us a time that we could wake them up at). These are my favorite memories of Christmas.
Reading your post makes me so excited for the holidays! Our families both do things so differently and we don't have a single tradition that is OUR family's. This year with the timing of Gavin, we'll do both Thanksgiving & Christmas at our house (I refuse to bring a brand new baby to big family parties!!!) I'm excited for a few good ideas from you!
Post a Comment