I know this is coming just a day after Livi's birthday, but honestly this post is a long time coming.
I am a positive person. I may be a bit sarcastic sometimes, but I think of the glass half-full and with most, if not all circumstances I am pretty upbeat. We just paid $1.235 million to co-pays in the last month? That's ok as long as we start to feel better....but seriously? Enough is enough.
In the last 2 months we have been HEALTHY a total of 1 week. 1 WEEK PEOPLE! I wish I were exaggerating, but I am not. We can prove this through dr. visits, filled prescriptions, WalMart runs (for meds, humidifiers, soup, gatorade, etc). Ridiculous.
I realize we all have our trials. I am not saying that mine are the biggest or the most important, but this is my blog and I'll cry if I want to! :) Sorry, Sorry..I'm back.
As I was saying. We all have our trials, but I don't really see the good that comes out of them. Alright, so some people have money issues, health issues, car issues, ect., ect. and I realize that we are supposed to learn something from them.
But I don't feel like being positive right now. I don't. What is so great about being sick for 2 months? We haven't been able to go to church for 2-3 weeks in a row (sporadic, but not consistently), we have missed playdates, parties, ward party, other appts, made OTHER people sick and Luke has used all of his sick leave.
I guess what this is all leading up to? Mac. Last night I took him back into the dr. He had been in last Thursday (3rd) for his well-check and then on Monday when he had had a fever for a few days, was coughing and wheezing and being picky about eating. Verdict? His oxygen levels were low, he had an ear infection, and they were worried about the wheezing. They gave him a breathing treatment and a prescription for Augmentin. It wasn't his regular dr., but Dr. K was really, really good with him (blessing from a trial?;) Concerned, she gave us some direction and sent us on our way.
Fast forward to Wednesday and Thursday. He wasn't doing much better. He wasn't eating well at all...and on Thursday he went 9 hours without eating. He wouldn't nurse, drink pedialyte, apple juice, squash, nada. I got nervous and called the dr. office. They told me to come in ASAP! I pumped some milk and left...during Livi's bday dinner ;(
We got the same Dr. K as on Monday (which was good..she already knew what we were dealing with) and his oxygen levels were good, but by now he had a DOUBLE ear infection and the wheezing was pretty bad. (He had lost 7oz. since the week before) She danced around the word pneumonia, but never said it. (I told her that my other son, Spencer, had gotten pneumonia when he was 6 months old too.) She did say that she was worried. She was worried because she had placed him on Augmentin and not only did it NOT help the ear infection, but now BOTH ears were infected AND the wheezing wasn't better, but worse. She gave me 2 options: 1.) Admit him to the hospital. 2.) Give him a shot and some steroids.
Well, I made the decision to take him home and just watch and make sure. They gave him a shot of Rocephin and 2 meltable steroids. They told me to up his breathing treatments to every 3-4 hours. They sent me on my way...
That night around 8 p.m. he finally nursed. It had been about 12 hours since he last had anything to eat or even drink. It had been scary, but I was soooo thankful that he got some nutrients in.
Today, Friday, we took all the kids in for their flu shots. Mac wasn't allowed to get it, but he was seen by our regular Dr. G. Dr. G finally said pneumonia. I reasked to make sure and he said...actually he has atypical pneumonia. This type of pneumonia doesn't respond to antibiotics. Yep, you read that right. My 6 month old somehow got pneumonia that can't be treated the regular way. It is scary. They gave him another shot today and prescribe him some steroids along with azithromycin. We go in tomorrow for another shot. My poor baby. It is around 7 right now and he hasn't eaten since 8:30 this morning.
So, as you can see...it has been a long 2 months and an especially long week for us.
Post edit: There are blessing that come from trials I guess. Today I was at Walmart waiting for Mac's prescriptions...and after 1/2 hour they still weren't ready. I came back a 1/2 hour later and they gave me a coupon for $5 off because we had to wait so long. Did I mention I really like this pharmicist. We are starting to be good friends! :)
14 comments:
I would definitely say this is a trial that there hasn't been a lot of good from...to be sick absolutely stinks. To be sick for 2 months, is downright TERRIBLE!
My heart goes out to you!!! I will be thinking of you...and keeping you in my prayers. Really. :)
HANG TIGHT!!! There is a light...and when you see it life will feel SO MUCH BETTER!
Sam had atypical pneumonia three, yes THREE, times in one year. Eventually this lead to his diagnosis of asthma. I sympathize, really I do.
did you just say you paid some million dollar amount to your insurance?? Where did you get that money? That really stinks you guys have all those health issues...does Mac have something wrong with him that would make him more susceptible to getting so sick all of the time? man girl, hang in there. I have no advice cause I have not experienced that but it will all work out like its supposed to.
that all sounds horrible! I'm so sorry! I hope you all start feeling better soon!
So sorry things are so rough for your family. It is no fun seeing your children sick; I wouldn't mind being sick because then I might actually get to sleep, but I'm pretty sure the house would fall apart. Your children are so lucky to have you taking care of them. Hang in there.
Poor little man! Sorry about all your troubles. I love you and hope things start getting better.
:( poor babies. poor mama. poor dad.
Names are in the temple!
We love you and are praying for you all!!!! Hang in there, Christmas is soon! LOVE YOU
I am sorry. We have winters like that -- living at the dr. and pharmacy. It stinks. And the worry doesn't make things any better. You are in our prayers.
Wow, you have been through a whirlwind of sickness! Ya, it's really hard to see why you're going through what you're going through while you're going through it. :) Maybe insight will be gained...but until then, hang in there! You're such a good mommy!
How scary. I am so sorry Mac is so ill and that you all have been under the weather for such a long time.
(Blessings: friends and family that care and will be praying for you and you family.)
I'll be keeping Mac and your family in our prayers.
OH so sorry! I guess it could be worse. Our doctor told us that several kids have now had to be intubated because they're lungs were so inflamed they couldn't breath on their own. Hang in there!
ah! I am so sorry, Katie! There is nothing worse for a mom then sick kids! We're keeping all of you in our prayers! I hope Mac is feeling better! We love and miss you all!
Katie: I'm just thinking about you tonight and imagining the day you're telling Livi " I know exactly what you're going through. That winter after we moved into our first home was........"
Oh, Katie!!! SO, so sorry!!! Poor little guy and poor Mommy too!
Post a Comment