Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Backsplash part 1

I have titled this post Part 1, since I am pretty sure there will be a Part 2 lurking in our future.

Times have surely changed since Luke tiled a few years ago.  They now have this double-sided adhesive sheets that work like a charm and you don’t need that first layer of stuff/grout on the bottom. 
IMG_4358
You place the tile:
IMG_4371
And then you push…
IMG_4372
and push…until it is in place.
IMG_4373
The only downside of this adhesive vs. the grout is that it isn’t very forgiving.  If you push down, chances are, it’s not coming back up!
IMG_4377
The kids had some friends over and spent a lot of time outside.
IMG_4381
IMG_4383
Taking a break to eat dinner:
IMG_4387
We had some other kids over, while their parents went on a date.  It was so great that our kids were able to be preoccupied and we didn’t have to worry about entertaining them while doing this….IMG_4396
I even got in on the action and cut some tile..
IMG_4393
and here I am grouting it all.  We actually used 2 different colors for the grout and I love how it came out.  Not sure that anyone else would notice it…but we like it.
IMG_4394
Final product. I’ll try taking pictures tomorrow in the light, so you can get the ‘real’ color.  It is almost a “Tuscan-inspired” red color and then we bought some slate to break it up. 
IMG_4399
The slate is really good at incorporating the black and stainless steel appliances with the Tuscan-red tile.
IMG_4408
IMG_4409

6 comments:

katie said...

I think the tile looks great! My hubby and I don't really do home projects so I am super impressed :) Nice job!

Anja said...

looks great!

Dena said...

That looks great! I didn't know they made stuff you could stick it to instead of that grout stuff. I was thinking about putting up a backsplash in our kitchen, too. I might need to ask you a few questions later!

Staci said...

i LOVE it! Great job!

shauna said...

It's so funny you asked about 17 because I for some reason didn't take a picture of it and didn't realize until I had finished my blog post. I love your tile work.

TORIRUTH said...

that looks REALLY good! So proud of you two! You guys are GREAT homeowners!