Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tackle it Tuesday: Nesting and cleaning



When I say nesting, I don't mean me. Really. I still haven't gotten the whole "nesting" feeling yet. I don't have any urgency to get things ready, I just know that they have to get done and so I'll slowly (I mean, really, REALLY slowly) get to them.

On the other hand....the Luke is TOTALLY going through something right now. I wouldn't say it was a mid-life crisis (he isn't that old yet) and I wouldn't really call it nesting (he's not pregnant), but really...his mom's side is shining through (she was/is an incredible clean freak...her home is always meticulous and I love going there!).

Anyway, back to the Luke. He is amazing. This weekend was spent doing a variety of things (he had to work, we went to the zoo, did grocery shopping, watched a bunch of movies), including cleaning. I don't mean picking up things..I mean, deep down scrubbing the kitchen floor and completely, COMPLETELY cleaning off the kitchen counters. Nothing but fruit on there..it looks unbelievable. (No more paper, misc. food, newspaper, paper, paper, paper, wedding invitations, graduation invitations, paper)

Me? What did I end up doing? Well, I sat on the couch for most of it...I get winded and tired pretty easily lately...but I cleaned out 2 of our closets. It was actually pretty fun. I packed away a few misc. things (ie winter gloves, hats, scarves) and threw some things away, oh and dusted.

Since our maintenance men were here last week, our laundry room is spotless (we moved the HUGE metal shelf out into the kitchen..looks awkward, but at least there is room to eat AND I have a laundry room back!) and so are our bathrooms and half of the fridge. (Yep, only half since I can't bend down to the very bottom...and Luke was busy with cleaning the bathrooms at the time. We'll get to it! :)

Here's what's next on the agenda (let's see if I can check some things off this list this time next week!):
-Clean off HUGE metal shelf in kitchen
-Put bassinet together
-Reorder car seat (long story) and diapers
-Clean MB of misc. things
-Clean out changing table (another LONG story)
-Pack misc. things in our room... (I know this is the bane of my existence...packing)
-Clean off 4 different surfaces of paper and other misc. things (this is a hard one. I have problems with paper. always have. always will. but i am working on it.)
-Clean out the lower shelves of fridge.

Alright. I am good with this list. It doesn't include cleaning bathrooms. Dishes. Laundry. Making beds. Cooking dinner. Getting dressed. taking showers. Alright, alright...you get the point. I can and will get to these things.

Here's a small request. What were some things that YOU needed to get done before the baby/something important arrived? This is geared for both men and women, with or without babies...

P.S. Happy cinco de Mayo!

5 comments:

Chatty Family said...

Wow! That is a lot! Isn't it nice to have a helping husband? Mine just vacuumed the stairs this morning because I HATE to do it! Good luck with the rest of your list. Here is a question for you--is it possible to have everything clean at once? It seems like once I finish one room, the kids have made a mess somewhere else! Arghhh!

critts said...

Oh Katie, I NEVER get the nesting instinct. And honestly neither kid's nursery was ready when they came home from the hospital. It was almost ready when Marc came home and not at all ready when Abby was born (long story but we weren't positive she was a girl until she was born). I guess I figured that's what the sleepy newborn stage was for. :)

TORIRUTH said...

weeeeelllllllllllll, i'm not pregnant, but i do know what it is like getting ready for something new/exciting...like, living in africa, or living in fiji!

currently i am busy buying things, throwing things away, packing up stuffff, shipping stuff out, deciding what clothes will be good ina place i have never been, etc etc. busy times of our lives! i'm so sad i will be a cross the world for your new baby! i love you!!!! and good luck getting all the things done you need to sista!

Marcie said...

I never went through the nesting phase with Charlotte. When I brought her home I had my first break down and started crying over how I was already a terrible mother/person for bring a baby home to a messy house. I soon got over that and my mom did an amazing job at organizing while she was here. One of the first things we did do after we got home was to clean the ceiling fans. I could not believe how dusty they were.

J said...

I love making lists and checking things off. It's that OCD part of me.
I also LOVE having a clean house. It's so nice when husbands help out with the cleaning. Bless our men!