Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's been a long week...

Well, in the interest of not sharing quite everything with the blogging work quite yet...it has been a long week.

A few weeks ago, I went in to my OB/GYN for several separate things. One of them was that I am overly tired. all. the. time. They took a bunch of blood..and the results seem pretty normal.

The second thing I went in for was because of my belly bulge. I wrote about it here. Note: Not belly FAT, but an actually bulge in my upper belly. I asked him if he also thought I had diastasis recti and he said that I didn't. He didn't really know WHAT I had, maybe a hernia. So, he referred me to a plastic surgeon.

I went today. I walked in and after lifting my shirt, feeling around on my stomach, having me cough, ect. He told me I DID have diastasis recti. I asked a few more questions about losing the bulge and here is what he said, "You could exercise for eternity and your stomach muscles will never come back together. They will get stronger, but never come together" The only thing he could recommend was getting a tummy tuck.

Now, I know most of you are thinking.."Of course a plastic surgeon is going to want to recommend a tummy tuck. Hello? Show me the $$." And yes, I would tend to agree with you, but this time..it was a bit different. It wasn't exactly a cosmetic procedure I would want to have done. My stomach is BULGING. Literally. There are exercises you can do to help strengthen it, but I am not sure that there is any way it will ever go back "in" unless I have it done. Ugh.

there are a few other things going on, so keep me in your prayers this next week!

It's been a long 2 days of dr. visits..and I want to thank those that have watched my kids and helped me out! Now, for a bit of down time...it IS summer, you know!

12 comments:

rachel said...

Oh no I hope things will get better. I think that if you feel good about a tummy tuck you should totally do it. For me I think that would be a relief not to have to stress and worry about it anymore. Good luck!

katie said...

So sorry to hear about your tummy issues. The things we put our bodies through for children!

I'll keep you in my prayers.

thekerrclan said...

Sorry to hear about all the dr. appts, etc. You're in my prayers!

Monique said...

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of ya! Sorry to hear about all your doctor visits. I hope all your blood work and your tummy and everything else turn out ok. Keep us posted on what's going on! You'll be in my prayers.

the Petterson Family said...

Katie, you are in my prayers! Doctor appointments (not to mention all the stress from learning all sorts of things about you own body) are exhausting!

Speaking of summer...what are your firework plans for the 4th? I'm thinking Bay village!?! If you are gonna be here, You know you have free parking at our house!

Anja said...

oh man, that sounds like fun. Good luck in whatever you decide, I wish I was there to help watch your kids for you!

Valerie: said...

I am so sorry. did you notice you had it with the other two kids. I had no idea it existed till i watched lindsay brin's videos. Have you asked her about if and does she think it could go away. I am very curious to see what it looks like. i always think I have a perma bump but yours sounds painful girl. would you get a tummy tuck after you were done having kids if thats the only way to get rid of it?

Jason Both said...

My mom just had a tummy tuck about a week and a half ago. Insurance is covering it all. Having had 8 to 11 pound babies, her muscles had separated also. That is definantly not a surgery to have when you have little kids to take care of or you have the possibility of having more babies. Plus there's the money issue with most insurances like you mentioned. Good luck with the excercises. I hope they help.

Loni said...

I think a tummy tuck is totally appropirate. As a mother, you go through so much - mentally and physically. Pregnancy puts your body through the ringer. If it was something that you could fix with exercise then I would say to go the exercise/natural way. BUT it CAN'T therefore a TT would allow you to get to a place that you could fix/finish up what you wanted to with exercise. It would help your self-esteem so much to go through the procedure, you wouldn't be as self-concious.
But do remember that if you plan on having any more babies, you would want to hold off on the surgery until you are done :)

Katy said...

Katie! I'm so sorry! That really stinks! We'll pray for you that you can hold it all together...hehehe...really we do hope that you can get through all that is on your plate right now. HUGS!

Trapper and Suzy said...

Whoa...I'm sorry that I've missed out on the opportunities to help with your kids! Or with anything for that matter. How in the heck did you know what a diastasis recti was? Good thing you knew what to ask about.
I'll keep you in my prayers, girl!

Celeste@MomBodFitness said...

Katie,

I realized I had posted on your older blog on diastasis. I found your site from raisingarrows.net. Anyways, just want to let you know that many, many women with large diastasis can get it back together with the right exercises. And it doesn't take forever either. I have been studying this issue and working with Pre/Post Natal women for several years.

BTW...small world, I am LDS too.
www.exerciseandpregnancy.blogspot.com